Plantain is tall, drought resistant herbaceous plant that grows from underground rhizime. It flourishes well under tropical moisture humid lands. When matured, plantain rhizomes grows to flower that is carried up together with it smooth, elongated unbranched stem that Pierce through the middle of the pseudo stem that later grow out at the top in between it leafy clusters. The flowers develops in to bunch of 3 to 20 hands with each groups holding at least 5 to 10 fruits or fingers.
However, plantains may look like bananas but they are not the same. The nutritional content of plantains differs depending on their levels of ripeness and how they’re prepared. Green plantain is rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosphorus. It contains vitamin A, B, C as well as moderate amount of niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. Equally, plantain can be eaten when ripe (yellow) or green (unripe) and should be cooked rather than eaten raw when it is not ripe. As plantain ripen, it fiber content reduces while it sugar content increases. Plantain are high in resistant starch that make them to be low in glycemic index of about 38•5% (ripe plantain) to 44•9% (boiled unripe). Plantain are normally low in fat but quickly absorb oil when cooked in oil. Fried plantain are high in fat.
GREEN PLANTAIN HEALTH BENEFITS
(1) Bone Health: Green plantains are rich in calcium that is needed for stronger bones, muscles, nails and teeth. Due to this, it prevent weakening of the bones that leads to fractures known as osteoporosis
(2) Constipation: Plantain is rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber as well as resistant starch that all pass through the digestive tract. They help to soften stools and make bowel movement easier there by preventing constipation.
(3) Immune System: Green plantain is rich in vitamin C that boosts immune system. It produces white blood cells that defend the body against infections and illnesses.
(4) Insomnia: It contains magnesium that releases tryptophan and serotonin in the body that relax the body. It promote sleep in people that suffers from insomnia.
(5) Regulate Blood Pressure: Plantain are low in sodium, rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium that regulate blood pressure as long as you don’t add salt during preparation. It help relax the tension in the blood vessels and arteries. This reduce strain on your cardiovascular system. It reduces your chances of heart attack and stroke.
(6) Menstrual Discomfort: Green plantain is rich in potassium mineral and vitamin B6 which relieves menstrual pain. It also help in the control of premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) such as bloating and depression.
(7) Eye Health: It contains antioxidants which reduce oxidative stress in the eyes that reduces your chances of suffering from macular degeneration and slowing the onset of cataracts.
(8) Anemia and Neuritis: Plantains contains vitamin B6 that cure neuritis (inflammation of the nerve). It contains iron and vitamin C that optimize absorption and prevent iron deficiency anemia.
(9) Boosts Cognition: Plantain contains vitamin B6 that help in the boosting of the brain that help in the circulation of blood and nerve activity in the brain.
(10) Regulate Blood Glucose: Unripe plantains are high in complex carbohydrates that enable your blood sugar levels to remain stable for long.
(11) Stomach Ulcer: Several studies indicate that green plantain contains phytochemical properties such as leucocyandin which manage and prevent stomach ulcer. Green plantain stimulates the cells on the stomach linning that produces thicker mucus which guard against stomach ulcers. Apart from this, it eliminates helicobacter pylori bacteria that causes stomach ulcers ulcers.
(12) Sexual Health: Regular consumption of green plantains improves male fertility. It enhances sexual health, increases libido, treats sexual weaknesses, treats impotence, increases sperm volume and thicken fluid due to the nutrients found in green plantain. Obtain fairly ripe roast or boiled green plantain with fresh ginger, garlic, bitter and scent leaves. Eat them before bed time once in every three days.
Raw green plantains can only be eaten after cooking. Shortly after eating plantain you may experience itching of the mouth, throat, hives, inflammation (swelling) or wheezing. If you suspect an allergy to plantain consult your doctor or health care provider for proper diagnosis. Slowly increase your consumption of green plantain or allow it to fully ripen to reduce digestive stress. However, plantain are less healthy when you cook them with a lot of oil, sugar, fat, or salt. These can increases your chances of weight gain, diabetes, heart disease or cancer. Green plantains that have been cut in to slices and dried can be grind in to flour. The flour must be properly handled to avoid contamination.
This write up is not meant to be a substitute to where the service of dietician or medical professional is urgently needed.