Arthritis home remedies aim at reducing inflammation. Arthritis home remedies will assist you to improve function of the affected joint before more serious problem happen. Arthritis is inflammation of one or more of your joints causing pain and stiffness that may worsen as the sufferer advanced in age. Such inflammation may take place in tissues around the joints such as ligaments, tendons and muscles. Rheumatism is another word that can be used instead of arthritis that is used for different pains in the muscles and joints that means different things to different people. Arthritis can affect people of all ages – even children and teenagers. Some forms of arthritis are more common in older people.
The aim of this write-up is to explain the symptoms, causes, types, diets and arthritis home remedies.
Are you ready?
Symptoms of arthritis may be mild or severe in nature that may also come and go and even worse overtime. The symptoms are:
- Loss of appetite.
- Stiffness of muscle.
- Loss of energy.
- Reduced range of motion and
- Tenderness of inflamed joints.
Severe arthritis, especially if it affects your hands or arms can make it difficut for you to carry on with your day to day activities. Arthritis of weight bearing joints can keep you from walking comfortably or sitting up straight. Even in some cases, joint may become twisted and deformed.
Don’t stop reading now…
TYPES OF ARTHRITIS
There are two main types of arthritis that include:
(A) OSTEOARTHRITIS: Occurs as a result of wear and tear damage to your joints cartilage (the hard, slick coating on the end of the bones). Enough damage can result in bone grinding directly on bone, which causes pain and restrict the sufferer movement. This wear and tear can occur over many years and it can be quickened by injury in the joint or Infection.
KIND OF OSTEOARTHRITIS
Primary osteoarthritis that occurs when joints wear out without any abnormal cause while Secondary osteoarthritis known causes are repeated trauma or surgery to the joint structures, abnormal joint at birth, gout, diabetes and hormone disorders.
CAUSES OF OSTEOARTHRITIS
- HEREDITARY: Parent transfers it to their children from one generation to another through their genes.
- STRESS: It may occur when injured or dislocated joint is stressed.
- OBESITY: Extra body weight put much weight on the hips and knees that cause arthritis.
- OCCUPATION: People who lift heavy object are prone to waist pain called lumbago and those that stand for many hours in a day are prone to knees pain.
- UNTREATED DISLOCATION OR HALF TREATED FRACTURE: May also leads to arthritis.
- AGE: The risk of osteoarthritis increase with age.
- GENDER: Women are more likely to develop osteoarthritis than men, especially after 50 years of age.
(B) RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: It is known as auto – immune condition (a situation whereby the immune system which is the body natural self defence system, get confused and begins to attack your body’s healthy tissues). This condition cause inflammation of your joints. It can also cause pain swelling and stiffness in your joints.
Stay with me now because…
ARTHRITIS DIET: ARTHRITIS HOME REMEDIES
Inclusion of certain foods in your diet will help you to reduce pain and joint inflammation that happens as a result of arthritis. Arthritis home remedies will assist you through the consumption of healthy diet. They are:
- EATING FRUITS: Antioxidants in vitamin C that may help slow down the progression of osteoarthritis. Taking fruits such as lemon, kiwi, strawberries, cantaloupe, et cetra that contains lot of Vitamin C will assist. Taking vitamin C supplement with the help of your doctor will help. Know that higher doses of vitamin C above 65 to 85 milligrams may increase your risk of kidney stone.
- VEGETABLES: Consumption of cruciferous vegetables especially fresh ones are healthy choice for people suffering from Rheumatism or Arthritis. Consumption of cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables are full of compound known as sulforaphane that slows cartilage and joints that occur due to osteoarthritis.
- SPICES: Such as the one from allium family that includes leeks, garlic and onion that contains compound known as dially / disulfide that have some effect in reducing cartilage – destroying enzymes.
- FATTY FISH: Such as tuna, salmon, mackerel and trout contains lot of Omega -3 fatty acid that reduce inflammation. Adding these fish in your diet will help you. You may ask your medical practitioner for Omega – 3 supplement. If you don’t like adding fish in your diet.
Besides, fatty fish, fruits and vegetables mentioned above are inflammation fighters. Adding whole grains can also help to control your weight, promote healthy weight and reduce some stress on your joints. However, you must avoid foods that are rich in refined sugar such as carbonated drinks, ice cream and biscuits. Stay clear of foods that contains excess fat, salt (sodium). Avoid coffee, alcohol and smoking. They worsen inflammation and can promote health conditions such as high cholesterol high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease and other complications that may not be beneficial for people suffering from arthritis. There’s no cure for arthritis. Arthritis home remedies will help you to manage it.
You’re about to find out how…
This write-up is not meant to be a substitute to where the service of a medical professional is urgently needed.
ARTHRITIS HOME REMEDIES
1. BENNI SEEDS / SESAME SEEDS (Ridi in Hausa; Ekuku gogoro in Yoruba; Ishwa in Tiv; Ocha in Idoma; Igogo in Igala; Gorigo in Ebira; Doo in Jukun; Isasa in Igbo) The anagesic and anti inflammation properties of the seeds have been beneficially utilized in reducing painful arthritic joint. This makes benni seeds one of arthritis home remedies. Researchers believed it could be due to it high copper content. Soak 1 tablespoon of Sesame seeds or Benni seeds in 100 ml water overnight. In the morning chew the soaked seeds and drink the water. Do it before your breakfast.
2. FLAX SEEDS: It contains omega-3 fatty acid that treat inflammatory arthritis. Soak 2 tablespoons of Flax seeds in very hot water of 150 ml for 30 minutes. Eat it together with your breakfast early in the morning.
OR: 2 tablespoons of Flask Seeds in cold water for 2 hours. Take it with your breakfast as arthritis home remedies.
3. SOURSOP (Eko omode, Eko oyinbo in Yoruba) It contains anthocyanins, tannin and alkaloids that exhibit antirheumatic effects. Prepare tea decoction of Soursop leaves. Take 200 ml two times a day.
OR: You may crush fresh soursop leaves to form paste. Apply the poultice over the affected area. After 20 minutes rinse it away with lukewarm water. Do it twice daily.
4. MORMORDICA CHARANTIA (Bitter gourd, Balsam pear, African cucumber in English; Garahanu in Mbula; Ndaki in Dera; Hanshinaship in Goemai; Dagdaggi in Fula-Fulfulde; Iliahia in Igala; Akban ndene in Igbo; Dagdagoo in Kanuri; Akara aje Ejirin wewe in Yoruba) Prepare tea infusion of Momordica Charantia leaves. Drink 200 ml two times a day.
5. CUCUMBER: Consumption of cucumber is very important because it makes the bone stronger as a result of both vitamin K that assist in reducing fracture rates and vitamin D that increases bone density. This make Cucumber of the arthritis home remedies. Both of them are combined together and helps in strengthening our bones.
6. AVOCADO (Ube oyinbo Ube beke in Igbo; Eso pia in Yoruba; Piya in Hausa; Eban mbakara in Efik; Orumwu in Bini) It is the best food for reducing inflammation in tissues, joints and muscles due to wide range of phytochemicals, flavonoids, carotenoid s, phytosterols and omega-3 fatty acids. Add Avocado in your diet for arthritis home remedies.
7. ALOE VERA (Tinya in Hausa; Ahon erin in Yoruba; Ebube agu in Igbo) Obtain Aloe Vera leaf, cut it into half. Obtain the juice or gel. Apply it over the area affected by swollen or inflammation associated with arthritis.
8. BEETS / BEET ROOT JUICE: Drink 150 ml of Beets or Beet root juice two times a day.
9. RICINUS COMUNIS (Castor plant in English; Cika – gidaa, Kula kula nkpikpi in Hausa; Ogili ugba, Ogili isi in Igbo; Ewe laafunfun, Ewe laa pupa in Yoruba) It contains ricin, oleic, linolic and other fatty acid in Castor leaf are very effective arthritis home remedies. Steam or warm fresh Castor leaves and place them on the affected area and bandage them. Do it at night before bed time. Remove them in the morning.
10. LEMON JUICE (Ruwa baba lemu in Hausa; Itie akpaenfi in Urhobo; Oroma nkirisi in Igbo; Omi osan ganyin in Yoruba) Pour 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of Organic Pure Honey in lukewarm water of 200 ml. Mix them together and drink. Do it two times a day.
11. Take 100 ml of fresh Tomato juice mix half tablespoon of Fresh Garlic paste (Alubosa ayu in Yoruba; Tafarnuwa in Hausa; Ayuu in Igbo) and 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper (Ata ijosin, Ilufemi, ijeye, Afriremon in Yoruba; Ose oyinbo in Igbo; Barkono in Hausa). Drink it. Do it two times a day for arthritis home remedies.
12. BASIL ESSENTIAL OIL: Mix 3 drops of Basil Essential Oil with 1 tablespoon with 1 tablespoon of Olive oil. Mix them thoroughly. Apply the mixture on the area affected by arthritis and massage for 10 minutes. Do it morning and evening for 14 days as arthritis home remedies.
13. FENUGREEK (Kerenkeren in Igbo; Idooma in Idoma; Hulba in Hausa; Ewedu in Yoruba) Obtain Fresh Fenugreek leaves. Blend them in water. Before drinking 250 ml of it. Add 1 pinch of Cayenne Pepper. Mix them together and drink two times a day.
OR: Soak 1 tablespoon of Fenugreek seeds in 150 ml cup of water overnight. Chew the soaked seeds in the morning and then drink the water upon it.
14. KALANCHOE PINNATA (Resurrection plant, Miracle leaf in English; Odaa Opue in Igbo; Abamoda in Yoruba) Crush the leaves of this plant. Warm them and mix with Coconut oil. Apply the lukewarm crushed leaves mixed with coconut oil over the affected areas.
15. IPOMOEA BATATA (Sweet potato in English; Edumsi, Odunsi, Odukun, Anamon in Yoruba; Atsaka in Tiv; Imitata, Ole oyinbo in Urhobo; Dangali, Kunduwu, Kuwunduwu in Kanuri; Duku in Nupe; Dangura in Manila; Oi – beke, Ji – beke in Igbo; Beke – buru in Ijo – Izon; Edia – mbakara in Anaang; Bombe in Arabic; Aya in Arabic – Shuwa; Dankal in Berom; Iyan – ebo in Edo; Bia m’ bakara in Efik; Dudepurre, Kudaku in Fula-Fulfulde; Dankali Dorawa in Hausa; Ediam, Ediam – umani in Ibibio) Cut some Potatoes into slices together with their bark. Soak them in water for 12 hours. Drink 150 ml of the water two times in a day for arthritis home remedies.
We diligently research and continuesly update our information. Please let us know if you find any error(s).
Thank you for reading!Follow us on social media