The objective of atherosclerosis treatment is slow or stop formation of plaque, prevent blood clots and treat symptoms of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is defined as the hardening and narrowing of the arteries, silently and slowly blocks the arteries putting flow of blood at risk. Arteries are blood vessels that move blood from the heart throughout the body which are lined by a thin of layers of cells known as ENDOTHELIUM that functions to keep the inside of the arteries toned and smooth which keep the blood flowing.
Atherosclerosis happens with damage to the endothelium caused by high blood pressure , high cholesterol in the body, diabetes and smoking. These plaques formation result in bump on the artery wall that get bigger as the atherosclerosis continues that can leads to the blockage of the entire body. Atherosclerosis doesn’t cause symptoms untill middle age or older age. When the narrowing becomes serious, it can cut off blood flow and cause blockage rupture suddenly that make blood clot inside the artery wall leading to life threatening complications such as stroke and heart attack.
This article will focus on meaning of atherosclerosis, symptoms, complications, diets, risk factors and atherosclerosis treatment.
I know what you’re thinking:
How will this write-up benefit me?
This article will enable YOU to know:
- The meaning of atherosclerosis.
- Causes of atherosclerosis.
- Atherosclerosis signs and symptoms.
- What can happen, if atherosclerosis is not properly treated.
- People that have higher chances of developing atherosclerosis.
- Diets (foods to eat and foods to avoid) for atherosclerosis sufferers and
- Atherosclerosis treatment.
Now, let me break this down for you…
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure and
- Inflammation such as arthritis or lupus.
Atherosclerosis symptoms are:
(a) CAROTID ARTERIES: supplies blood to the brain and a limited supply of blood can result in stroke that make such individual to experience various symptoms as a result of atherosclerosis which headache, facial numbness, difficulty in breathing and paralysis.
(b) CORONARY ARTERIES: supply blood to the heart when the blood supply to the heart is reduced, it can lead to HEART ATTACK, angina, chest pain, confusion, extreme anxiety and feeling faint.
(c) RENAL ARTERIES: moves blood to the kidney, if the blood supply become short in supply, there is risk of developing chronic kidney disease. Symptoms include loss of appetite, swelling or inflammation of hands, feets and difficulty in concentrating.
In addition, arteriosclerosis is the stiffening of the artery walls while atherosclerosis is the narrowing of the artery because of build up of plaques. Both are different because atherosclerosis is a certain types of arteriosclerosis. All people with atherosclerosis have arteriosclerosis but those with arteriosclerosis might not necessarily suffer from atherosclerosis. Also, both terms are frequently used with the same meaning.
Don’t stop reading now…
Atherosclerosis can lead to serious and long lasting complications such as:
- HEART DISEASE AND HEART FAILURE: the may not be able to pump enough blood around the body or may not fill with sufficient levels of blood.
- HEART ATTACKS: is a medical emergency which sblood supply becomes blocked that may be life threatening.
- KIDNEY FAILURE: the kidney can stop functioning, if they do not receive enough blood.
- ANEURYSM: is a serious condition in which the artery wall bulge, even sometimes bursting and causing potential Internal bleeding.
- STROKE: is a medical emergency in which blood supply to the brain is blocked, starving the brain of oxygen that can kill the brain cells.
- ARRHYTHMIAS: can cause abnormal heart rhythms and palpitations.
The following factors increases your likelihood of developing atherosclerosis. They are:
- People who have family members that suffers from atherosclerosis.
- People with poor diet and high blood sugar (diabetes) are likely to suffer from atherosclerosis.
- Exposure to air pollution.
- Bad cholesterol build up in the coronary arteries.
- High consumption of alcohol.
- Abdominal obesity
- High blood pressure and
- Not exercising regularly.
It all boils down to this…
Your eating habits, how much you exercise your body whether you smoke or not, your blood glucose levels, blood pressure, blood cholesterol levels, your body weight and whether you take your medications or not can go along way in reducing your atherosclerosis and to avoid complications such as stroke and heart attack.
FOODS TO CONSUME – ATHEROSCLEROSIS TREATMENT
The following foods that are heart friendly are necessary in your diet. They include:
- FRUITS: fresh or frozen fruits and the ones preserve in water with no added sugar are very good choice such as: orange, lemon, lime, African star apple (Cheery), grapes,apple, avocado, pomegranate.
- VEGETABLES: consume fresh Green leafy vegetables of different colours. Good choices are : milk thistle, African water yam, sweet potato, cocoyam, Irish potato, onions, spinach, cabbage, tomatoes.
- DIARY PRODUCT: consume diary products that are low in fat, such as: yogurt, skimmed milk and cheese in moderation.
- OIL AND FATS: the following fat are healthy for heart. They include: sunflower oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. The following seeds are better sources; they are: sesame seeds or benni seeds, avocado, pumpkin and flax.
- PROTEIN FOODS: animal source protein are lean meats like : fish,chicken, goat and egg (egg boiled egg in moderation and stay away from fried egg) while vegetable source of protein include: white beans, pigeon peas, black eyed peas, soy beans.
- GRAINS: it includes whole grains that are rich in fibre such oats, brown rice, wheat, oatmeal, millet, barley.
FOODS TO AVOID – ATHEROSCLEROSIS TREATMENT
Knowing foods to avoid and the ones that are detrimental to your health will enable YOU to prevent and manage atherosclerosis. The foods to avoid are:
- FATS: fats to avoid are cotton seed oil, butter, lard, bacon fat, margarine product with hydrogenated oil.
- AVOID OR TAKE SPARINGLY: full fat milk and diary products that contains excess fat in your diet.
- AVOID FROZEN FRUIT: with added sugar and canned fruit with added sugar.
- AVOID FRIED VEGETABLES, CANNED and CREAMY VEGETABLES: canned in high salt or sodium.
- AVOID red meat, fried egg, fried fish and chicken!
- AVOID OR LIMIT THE CONSUMPTION: of white bread, cakes, biscuits, buttered popcorn and so on.
Here’s the big secret…
Do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Use natural treatments just as an adjunct treatment.
(1) CAYENNE PEPPER (Apoko eeke in Idoma; Barkono in Hausa; Ose oyinbo in Igbo; Ata ijosin, Afriremon, Ilufemi, Ijeye in Yoruba; Barkono in Hausa; Isie in Benin; Usira in Esan) Capsaicin in Cayenne Pepper lower blood cholesterol and blocks a gene that causes construction of the arteries. Add this pepper in your diet for atherosclerosis treatment.
(2) ONIONS (Albasa in Hausa; Yabasi in Igbo; Alubosa in Yoruba) Due to it Sulphur compound, Chromium and Vitamin B6. Onions prevent heart disease by reducing high homocysteine levels that can cause heart attack and stroke. Add RAW ONIONS in your diet for atherosclerosis treatment.
(3) SPINACH (Amunututu, Egungun ori iganna, Toromon iganna in Yoruba; Gborongi in Igbo; Allayyahu in Hausa) Slightly boil Fresh Spinach leaves and add Cayenne Pepper. Consume as soup for atherosclerosis treatment.
(4) GARLIC (Alubosa ayu in Yoruba; Ayuu, Ayo ishi in Igbo; Tafarnuwa in Hausa) Chew 2 to 3 fresh Garlic pods in morning and at night for atherosclerosis treatment.
(4) DANDELION (Ewe odu in Yoruba) Boil the leaves together with the roots in water. Drink 250 ml three.
OR: You may take fresh Dandelion leaves in salad form.
OR: You may slightly fresh Dandelion leaves and consume in soup form for atherosclerosis treatment.
(5) LEMON JUICE (Oroma nkirisi in Igbo; Itie akpaenfi in Urhobo; Omi osan ganyin in Yoruba; Baba lemu in Hausa) contains Potassium, Vitamin C and Magnesium that prevent various coronary heart diseases. Prepare tea infusion of fresh lemon leaves. Drink 250 ml three times a day.
OR: Pour 3 tablespoons of Lemon juice in to 100 ml lukewarm water. Mix together and drink. Do it three times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
(6) THYME: it enables the proper functioning of cardiac valve, relaxes the veins, the arteries, reducing blood pressure and strengthening the heart. You can include both fresh and shade dried Thyme in your diet.
(7) UNRIPE CARICA PAPAYA (Pawpaw, Papaya in English; Mpuer in Tiv; Ideru ipichi in Idoma; Ibepe dudu in Yoruba; Okwuru bekoe, Ojo, Okpurukwa in Igbo; Etihi-mbakara in Efik) it prevents the oxidation of cholesterol and hinder it from clogging the blood vessels that help to help reduce cardiovascular risk. Peel the bark of Unripe Pawpaw, remove the seeds and cut the fruit into 3 equal parts. Eat 1 part in the morning, afternoon and at with Cayenne pepper. OR: You may blend the 3 Unripe Carica Papaya cut into equal parts into juice and mix with Cayenne pepper and drink. Do it for each in the morning, afternoon and at night.
(8) FENUGREEK (Ewedu in Yoruba; Kerenkeren in Igbo; Hulba in Hausa; Idooma in Idoma; Atsaka, Atiavi in Tiv) It is rich in fibre that reduces excess cholesterol in the arteries thereby preventing atherosclerosis. Take 1 tablespoon of Fenugreek seeds powder with water three times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
Or: Boil slightly fresh Fenugreek Leaves and drink 300 ml. Do it three times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
Or: Blend fresh Fenugreek Leaves in water. Drink 200 ml immediately after preparation.
(9) TOMATOES: It contains powerful antioxidants, reduces the extent of oxidative damages and slow down the progression of atherosclerosis plaques. Eat 3 to 4 balls of Tomatoes every day.
(10) ARTICHOKE: Boil 2 tablespoons of crushed fresh Artichoke leaves and put it in 100 ml water. Add 2 tablespoons of Organic Pure Honey. Mix thoroughly and drink. Do it two times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
(11) CRANBERRY JUICE : It protect the body from cardiovascular problem by enhancing blood flow to the arteries. Drink 300 ml of Cranberry juice daily.
(12) CHRSOPHYLLUM ALBIDUM (Cherry, African star apple in English; Otien in Edo; Ibi in Idoma; Agbalumon in Yoruba; Agbaluba in Hausa; Udala, Udara in Igbo; Ehya in Igala; Eha in Ebira; Utieaga dava in Urhobo) It assist in the regulation of blood levels, blood cholesterol and gives you better chances of fighting and avoiding heart disease. Always the the fruit and the skin because the skin contains large amount of nutrients.
(13) WATERMELON SEEDS : The mineral that dominate watermelon seeds is Magnesium that perform vital function for our heart because it controls blood pressure and carbohydrates metabolism in our body. It contains amino acids such as arginine, tryptophan, glutamate acid and lisin that perform the function of regulating blood pressure and coronary heart disease. Chew 2 tablespoons of WATERMELON SEEDS with ONE tablespoon of Organic Pure Honey. Do it two times a day.
Diabetes patient should avoid watermelon pulp because they are diuretic.
(14) AVOCADO (Piya in Hausa; Eso pia in Yoruba; Ube oyinbo, Ube beke in Igbo; Eban mbakara in Efik) Beta-sisterol in Avocado help in maintaining cholesterol and contains potassium that fight hypertension. Hence, protecting the heart from Atherosclerosis. Daily consumption of Avocado will help you to manage and prevent Atherosclerosis.
(15) Boil the root bark of Rauvolfia Vomitoria (Indian snake root in English; Asofeyeje, Ira Igbo, Ora Igbo in Yoruba; Akanta in Igbo; Wada in Hausa; Akata in Edo; Mmon eba, Uto enyin in Efik), Leaves of Phyllanthus Amarus (Ehinbisowo, Yin olobe, Olobe in Yoruba; Geeron tsuntsaaye in Hausa; Eyinkonwa, Ngwu, Buchi oro in Igbo; Oyomokeso amanke edem in Efik)
and Leaves Momordica Charantia (Bitter goured, Bitter melon in English; Ewe ejinrin in Yoruba; Okwunuolo in Igbo; Daddasu in Hausa) Boil the all the items mentioned in water. Drink 200 ml three times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
(16) Put the following items in a pot and prepare tea decoction:
Leaves of African Star Apple, Fruit pods Tetrapleura Tetraptera (Aridan, Aidan in Yoruba; Dawo in Hausa; Owoglo in Idoma; Oshosho, Osakirisa in Igbo)
Pods of Tetrapleura Tetraptera
and fresh leaves of Baobab (Ewe igi ose in Yoruba; Kuka in Hausa; Obosi in Igbo) Boil them in water. Drink 250 ml two times a day.
(17) BLACK PEPPER (Masooroo in Hausa; Uziza in Igbo; Ata iyere in Yoruba) Piperine in Black Pepper aid in the reduction of blood pressure and formation of fat. Add black Pepper in your diet.
(18) DIOSCOREA ALATA (Water yam in English; iyo ro buru in Ijo-Izon; Abire in Ibibio; Ji – m bala m Bala, Ji – abana, Ngbede, Onoko in Igbo; Isi ovuna in Idoma; Dem pwen in Berom; Arun fanfan, Isu ewura, Atti, Egbado in Yoruba; Akenodo in Urhobo; Wura in Nupe; Igio orua, Udin in Edo; Bakar dooyaa, Jikin mutum, Sakataa in Hausa; Abeghe in Efik) it contains lot of minerals such as Calcium, Potassium and Beta-carotene that treat systemic diseases including atherosclerosis that may result in stroke,heart failure and palpitations of heart. Include boiled or roasted Water yam in your diet.
Avoid fried Water yam
(19) RED CABBAGE : contains lot of potassium that improves blood circulation and absorb excess sodium.
(20) GREEN MANGO JUICE :
Green Mango contain a compound known as Peptin, Potassium, Vitamin C and Magnesium that assist in bringing down high blood cholesterol, thereby maintaining heart health. Peel Unripe or Green Mango and obtain it flesh. Boil the flesh untill it becomes soft. Blend them together. Add 1 tablespoon of Organic Pure Honey
and Black Pepper.
(21) WATER LEAF (Ebe dondon in Edo; Ipi ape in Idoma; Efo Gbure, Etibure, Ewe Gbure in Yoruba; Alenyruwa in Hausa; Nte oka in Igbo) prevent the accumulation of excess fat in the artery wall that can obstruct blood flows to the brain and heart that result in atherosclerosis. Obtain fresh Water leaves. Wash them in clean water. Cut the tender stems and the leaves into slices. Add little water and blend 1 or 2 handful of the sliced Water leaves. The green liquid is your juice.
Drink 250 ml mix with
1 pinch of Cayenne pepper powder. Drink immediately after preparation. Throw away the chaff. Do it once a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
(22) Grind Ginger (Chitta in Hausa; Jinja in Urhobo and Igbo; Atale in Yoruba)
fresh Garlic pods (Tafarnuwa in Hausa; Ayuu, Ayo ishi in Igbo; Alubosa ayu in Yoruba)
Lime juice (Evwe in Urhobo; Ekpe nkirisi in Igbo; Omi oronbo, Omi osan wewe in Yoruba; Ruwa lemu tsami Kadanbuya in Hausa)
and mix thoroughly with Organic Pure Honey (Zmanu in Igbo; Dorawa in Hausa; Oyin igan, Oyin gidi in Yoruba)
Take half tablespoon of three times a day for atherosclerosis treatment.
Ultimately, people suffering from atherosclerosis should drink lot of water as their body can take, stay clear of foods that high in salt (sodium), do moderate exercise, avoid cigarette smoking and tobacco products, avoid refined carbohydrates product, avoid alcohol, foods that are high in saturated and trans fat.
You can avoid or slow down atherosclerosis by taking care of the risk factors. These changes may not remove blockages but they’re proven to lower the risk of heart attacks and stroke.
It very important for your to monitor your blood sugar, blood pressure, blood cholesterol levels and your body weight to avoid complications that occurs due to atherosclerosis.