Macular degeneration treatment is aim at slowing the degeneration of the macula. Macular degeneration treatment can be achieved through changes in lifestyle changes. Macular degeneration treatment can be slowed by healthy lifestyle and foods that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Macular degeneration or macular deterioration is a chronic disease that results in vision loss in the center of a person’s field of vision. The macula is in the center of the retina, the light sensitive layer of tissue at the back of the eye. The macula is responsible for central vision (straight – ahead vision). As the eye ages, the macula deteriorates and the central sharp vision that is used for seeing in detail is gradually lost.
Macular degeneration is also known as Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) due to the fact that it is associated with getting older and mainly affects people later in life. Inherited forms of this disease can also affect young people as well. Macular degeneration differs from glaucoma that results in gradual loss of peripheral (side – ways vision) and cataracts that normally clears the eyes lens and the eyes become cloudy.
In course of reading this article; these are what you’ll come across: macular degeneration symptoms, causes, types, and macular degeneration treatment.
I think You’ll agree with me, when I say…
This write-up will enable YOU to know;
- Macular degeneration symptoms.
- Macular degeneration causes.
- Types of macular degeneration.
- Factors that increases your chances of being affected by macular degeneration.
- Lifestyles changes that can assist you to prevent loss of vision and
- Macular degeneration treatment.
Macular Degeneration Symptoms
Macular degeneration is a painless condition that occurs mostly after the age of 50 years that include:
- Distinguishing of faces becomes difficult.
- Distortion, that is, straight line becomes crooked or wavy.
- Difficulty in performing activities which requires fine vision, difficulty in reading or driving.
- Difficulty in adapting to low levels of light.
- Reduced intensity or brightness of colours.
- Need for brighter lighting when reading or in a little dark place.
- Dark patches or empty spaces appear in the center of the field of your vision.
- Gradual increase in the cloudiness of central vision.
Macular degeneration Causes
The exact causes of macular degeneration is not known. What is known is that, as the eye ages, certain structural and functional changes takes place in the retina which are important to the degeneration or deterioration development. However, genetic and environmental factors may be the cause.
Here’s why that’s important…
TYPES of Macular Degeneration
There are two (2) types of macular degeneration or macular degeneration. They are:
(1) DRY MACULAR DEGENERATION: is more common and serious of the two types, which may progress to the wet form over time. Dry macular deterioration has the following stages; which may affect one or both eyes. The sign of more advanced dry Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the presence of a blurred spot in the center of vision.
(a) EARLY STAGE: Small yellow deposits called DRUSEN deposit beneath the retina and may be detected during an eye examination. Vision is not usually affected and there are no signs or symptoms.
(b) INTERMEDIATE STAGE: One or two large DRUSEN are present. There may be blurred spot in the center of the visual field. More light may be required to read or do other things.
(c) ADVANCED STAGE: Many large DRUSEN and breakdown of the macular tissue is present. There is blurring of the central vision. Reading becomes difficult and there is more reliance on peripheral vision. Dry AMD cannot be treated at present but it progression can be slowed down through healthy lifestyle changes and with foods rich in VITAMIN and ANTIOXIDANTS.
(2) WET MACULAR DEGENERATION: Occurs when abnormal blood vessels grows under the retina and leak fluid or blood into the macula region. However, an early symptoms of wet age related macular deterioration is the appearance of straight lights.
You won’t believe what we discovered…
The following factors increases your likelihood of age related macular degeneration; that include:
(a) Family history.
(b) High blood pressure.
(f) Over 50 years of age.
(g) A diet high in unsaturated fat and
(h) Simple carbohydrates.
These measures may assist you in the prevention of vision loss; if macular degeneration has already been diagnosed or you may reduce the risk of developing deteriorating macular. They’re:
- Avoid blue light source and ultraviolet ray.
- Maintain proper eye hygiene to avoid worsening of macular deterioration.
- Stop smoking, if you do.
- Reduce or stay away totally from alcohol.
- Refrain from activities that strain the eyes.
- Exercise regularly and keep down your weight.
- Eat different varieties of green leafy vegetables and fruits.
- Add fish and nuts to your diet.
- Eat foods that contains complex carbohydrates and avoid the ones that contains simple starch.
- Go for eye checks, by regularly visiting your Optometrist or Ophthalmologist every six months, that’s twice in a year.
So what’s the solution?
This article is not meant to be a substitute to where the services of medical professional is urgently needed.
Macular Degeneration Treatment
(1) TOMATO: Contains lycopene that fight macular degeneration and keeps your eye healthy. Eating of fresh raw Tomatoes balls daily can keep your eyes fine and healthy and in macular degeneration treatment.
(2) CARROTS: Are excellent for the eyes due to it abundant amount of beta carotene that improves your vision and fight against eye problems such as macular degeneration. Include Carrots in moderate amounts in your diet.
(3) TIGER NUTS (Akiausa in Igbo; Opa – Opu in Igala; Imu-mu-mu in Yoruba; Aya in Hausa) Omega-3 and zinc in Tiger nuts acts as anti-inflammatory that maintains eye health. Always Chew fresh Tiger nuts.
(4) SPINACH (Gborongi in Igbo; Alayyahu in Hausa; Amunututu; Egungun ori iganna; Toromon iganna in Yoruba) It contains vitamin A and minerals that aid in good eye sight. Add slightly boil Spinach in your diet for macular degeneration treatment.
(5) PINEAPPLE JUICE (Ogede oyinbo in Yoruba; Akwu oyinbo, Akwu Ocha, Akwou olu in Igbo; Mbuer u butter in Tiv; Aregede in Idoma; Edin ebo in Bini; Abarba in Hausa) Beta carotene in Pineapple prevent age related diseases such as macular degeneration. Add Unripe Pineapple in your diet.
(6) WHEAT (Alkama in Hausa) Consumption of whole wheat lower the risk of the degeneration of the macular due Vitamin E, Zinc and Niacin found in wheat.
(7) OCCIMUM GRATISSIMUM (Scent leaf, Basil leaf in English; Ewe Effinrin; Kunguleko in Tiv; Daddoya in Hausa; Nchuanwu, Arigbe in Igbo; Ayeneba in Idoma) Regular consumption of fresh Basil leaves fight macular degeneration of vision due to it Vitamin A and C content.
(8) CAULIFLOWER : It can be found in green, orange and purple colours. Adding Cauliflower to your diet lessens age related macular degeneration.
(9) GRAVIOLA / SOURSOP (Eko oyinbo, Eko omode in Yoruba) It is rich in antioxidants especially in VITAMIN C & E, mineral like zinc and Beta carotene that reduce oxidative stress that can cause the degeneration of macular. Add Soursop in your diet for macular degeneration treatment.
(10) THYME: Contains large amounts of vitamin A and C, Zinc, Thiamine and Folate. Thyme promote healthy vision and reduce macular degeneration. You consume Thyme in fresh and dried form. It can also be taken in TEA form.
(11) AVOCADO PEAR (Ube oyinbo, Ube beke in Igbo; Piya in Hausa; Eban mbakara in Efik; Orumwu in Bini) It is rich in Carotenoids such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin that keeps your eyes healthy when consume regularly.
(12) STRAWBERRY: Contains Flavonoids, Phenolic phytochemicals and Ellagic acid. Eating of Strawberries fruits can treat or prevent macular degeneration. You can add fresh Strawberry Leaves in your diet. You can take the leaves in TEA form.
(13) LIME JUICE (Osan wewe, Oronbo in Yoruba; Lemu tsami Kadanbuya in Hausa; Evwe in Urhobo; Ekpe nkirisi in Igbo) Due to the Antioxidants found in Lime juice, it regular consumption protects the eyes from macular degeneration.
(14) GRAPES (inabi in Hausa; Rodo rodo in Yoruba) Consumption of Grapes juice or Grapes seeds extract prevent macular degeneration as a result of Flavonoids found in Grapes.
(15) CABBAGE: Vitamin A in Cabbage assist in maintaining sharp vision while averting or preventing macular deterioration. Add raw Cabbage in your diet.
(16) WATER LEAF (Efo Gbure in Yoruba; Ipi ape in Idoma; Ebedondon in Edo; Nte oka in Igbo; Alenyruwa in Hausa) It contains compound known as RETINOL that are rich in VITAMIN A that makes the eyes to grasp light and any object that is received by the retina to the brain neurons that then visualize accurately. Obtain 2 handful of fresh water leaves. Wash them with clean water. Cut the tender stems and the leaves into slices. Add little water and juice them by using blender. The green liquid is your juice. Drink it. Throw away the chaff. CONSUME IMMEDIATELY after preparation for macular degeneration treatment!
(17) CARICA PAPAYA (Papaya Pawpaw in English; Eto oyinbo in Urhobo; Gwanda in Hausa; Ideru in Idoma; Ojo, Okpurukwa, Okwere, Okwuru bekoe in Igbo; Etihi-mbakara in Efik) Contains Zeaxanthin that filters out rays that harm the retina that reduces macular degeneration. Add Pawpaw in your diet.
(18) UNRIPE PLANTAIN (Ogede agbagba dudu in Yoruba; Ayaba in Hausa; Ogbadejieoke, Ojioko, Abereka in Igbo; Oghede in Benin; Agbo ochi in Idoma) Eating Unripe Plantain helps with better vision due to it Vitamin A, C and Niacin contents. Eat 2 Unripe roasted Plantain regularly.
Finally, when battling with macular degeneration early diagnosis, treatment, lifestyle changes and with the advice of your doctor take antioxidants, zinc, and vitamin (A, C, and E) supplements or diets. Avoid foods made of refined starches, excess sugar (foods high in glycemic index) that increases your chances of been affected by macular deterioration.
Being diagnosed with macular degeneration does not mean you will completely lose your sight. To get the best results from your treatment. Follow the guidance of your Opthalmologist or Medical experts. By so doing, you can live your life with no worries.
We diligently research and continuesly update our information. Please let us know if you find any error(s).
Thank YOU for reading!Follow us on social media