Jaundice treatment aim at treating the underlying cause. Jaundice treatment assist the liver to metabolize and excrete bilirubin in the form of bile. Jaundice treatment prevent disruption in the normal metabolism and production of bilirubin. Jaundice is defined as the discolouration of the skin, mucus membranes and the whites of the eyes caused by increased amount of bilirubin in the blood. It is a sign of underlying disease process. Bilirubin is a product of the daily natural breakdown and destruction of red blood cells in the blood. The haemoglobin molecules that is released into the blood by this process is split with the heme portion undergoing a chemical conversion to bilirubin. Normally, the liver metabolizes and excretes the bilirubin in the form of bile. However, there is disruption in this normal metabolism and production of bilirubin, JAUNDICE may occur which is also known as icterus.
Bilirubin is a yellowish coloured waste material that remains in the blood stream after IRON is removed from the blood. The liver filters waste out from the blood. When bilirubin reaches the liver other chemicals attach to it. A substance called conjugated bilirubin occurs. The liver produces bile, a digestive juice. Conjugated bilirubin enters the bile, then it leaves the body. It is a type of bilirubin that gives faces it brown colour. If there is too much bilirubin, it can leak into the surrounding tissues. This known as hyperbilirubinemia and it causes the yellow colour in the eyes and skin of jaundice patient.
This article will explain types of jaundice, symptoms, causes, how it can be prevented, diets and jaundice treatment.
This are what you will benefit from this write-up; you will know:
• types of jaundice.
• symptoms and causes of jaundice.
• how you can prevent jaundice.
• foods to eat.
• foods to avoid or limit when you are suffering jaundice and
• jaundice treatment.
Right here goes…
Types of Jaundice
The main kinds of jaundice are:
- HEMOLYTIC JAUNDICE: it happens due to hemolysis or an accelerated breakdown of red blood cells, that result in an increase in production of bilirubin.
- HEPATOCELLULAR JAUNDICE: occurs due to liver disease or injury.
- NEONATAL JAUNDICE: occurs in new born infants. At birth, the body usually provided large amount of red blood cells, as the level of bilirubin increases in the blood. If the new born infant body fail to remove the bilirubin from the body, it result in jaundice.
- OBSTRUCTIVE JAUNDICE: it is a situation that occurs due to an obstruction in the bile duct that prevents bilirubin from leaving the liver.
What are the causes of jaundice?
Jaundice is treated by managing the underlying causes that are:
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Acute inflammation of the liver.
- Inflammation of the bile duct.
- Viruses, including Hepatitis A, B, C, D, E and Epstein-Barr virus infection (infectious mononucleosis)
- Contaminated food and water.
- Tuberculosis and
- Pancreatic cancer.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Rare genetic metabolic defects.
- Medicines, including acetaminophen toxicity, penicillins, oral contraceptives, chlorpromazine (Thorazine and estrogenic or anabolic steroids.
But wait, there’s more…
Want to know jaundice symptoms?
Common jaundice symptoms are:
- Dark urine.
- Pale stools.
- Abdominal (stomach or tummy) pain.
- Weight loss.
- Vomiting and
Dark urine and yellow tinge to the skin and the whites of the eyes, normally starting at the head and spreading down the body.
How you can prevent jaundice
Jaundice can be prevented by:
- Maintaining good hygiene to prevent food and water contamination.
- Avoiding drinking of alcohol.
- Avoiding high risk behavior such as intravenous drugs.
- Avoiding medications and toxins that break down your red blood cell.
- Staying clear of unprotected sexual intercourse and
- Taking of medication that prevent malaria.
Don’t stop reading now…
Jaundice Diet: Jaundice Treatment
What you eat and don’t eat, play vital role in treating jaundice and reducing it symptoms. Regular consumption of healthy diet will not only help. It promote your liver health by providing your body with the needed nutrients, boosts your immune system and provide your body with the needed energy to carry out your daily activities.
Foods to eat
• Consume fresh vegetables
• Eat fresh fruits.
• Eat Carbohydrates rich foods.
• Eat Fiber rich foods
• Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily : to help flush out bilirubin and helps to keeps bilirubin levels in the blood under control.
• Pawpaw, Mango, honey and pineapple are recommended because they contains natural digestive enzymes.
•Consume lean meat such as fish that are not fried in moderation to aid quick recovery.
Foods to avoid or limit
Whoever that is suffering from jaundice should avoid or limit some foods that contains complex chemicals that the liver cannot process easily which stresses the liver and hinder quick recovery from jaundice. The foods to avoid or limit include:
• Avoid consumption of foods that contains artificial sweeteners, fried red meats, and junk foods
• Diary products: low fat milk and low fat curd must be consumed in moderation. Avoid the following: butter milk, curd, butter cheese and magarines. The liver find it difficut to digest these products.
• Avoid salt rich foods. Less salt is preferable for fast recovery from jaundice.
• Avoid sugary and caffeinated drinks.
• Alcohol: when you suffers from jaundice it is better to completely stay away from alcohol consumption because it exert serious pressure on the liver in the process of breaking down alcohol by product of digestion.
• Eggs and beans: both of them contains high amount of protein that put extra pressure on the liver and prevent quick recovery from jaundice.
• Avoid banana fruit because it place more pressure on the digestive system, increases the level of bilirubin in the body.
• It is better you spread your meals rather than consuming large meals at once.
This article is not meant to be a substitute to where the services of a qualified medical professional is urgently needed.
1. Unripe Pawpaw Fruit ( Eso ibepe dudu in Yoruba; Gwanda in Hausa; Okwuru bekoe, Ojo, Okpurukwa in Igbo; Ideru in Idoma; Mpuer in Tiv; Eto oyinbo in Urhobo; Pawpaw, Papaya in English) Get unripe Pawpaw or Papaya fruit, peel the bark, remove the seeds, slice and soak them in white corn or white maize paste water (Omi ori ogi Funfun, Omi dun funfun, Omikan funfun in Yoruba) for 6 hours.
Drink 150 ml three times a day for jaundice treatment.
New born baby
1 tablespoon three times a day.
2. Tamarind (Tsamiyar kurm in Hausa; Awin in Yoruba; Icheku in Igbo) soak and crush fresh or dried Tamarind fruits in water and drink for jaundice treatment.
3. Phyllanthus Amarus (Stone breaker in English;Oyomokeso amanke edem in Efik; Ehinbisowo, Eyin olobe, Yin olobe in Yoruba; Geeron tsuntsaaye in Hausa; Iyeke in Urhobo; Buchi oro, Eyinkonwa, Ngwu in Igbo) get some fresh Phyllanthus Amarus leaves and extract it juice. Take 2 tablespoons twice daily.
Or: Prepare tea infusion of phyllanthus Amarus fresh or dried leaves. Drink 150 ml two times a day for jaundice treatment.
4. Sugar cane juice(Okpete in Igbo; ileche in Igala; Ireke in Yoruba; Reke in Yoruba; iyelegh in Tiv) Sugar cane juice aids in strengthening the liver and enhance it proper function. Take 250 ml of Sugar cane juice two times a day for jaundice treatment.
5. Goat Weed (Imi esu in Yoruba; Ufu, Otogo, Opioko in Igede; Ula n juala, Urata njele, Ahenhea, Akwukwo osi naka in Igbo; Otiti in Efik; Ghedore in Benin) extract the juice of fresh Goat Weed leaves. Take 2 tablespoons two times a day for jaundice treatment.
6. Tomatoes: contains compound known as Lycopene that assist in liver detoxification that help in curing jaundice. Consume 2 or 3 Fresh balls of tomatoes daily for jaundice treatment.
7. Henna Leaves (Lelle in Hausa; Laali in Yoruba; Lalee in Igbo) prepare tea decoction of Henna Leaves. Take 2 tablespoons twice a day for jaundice treatment.
8. Aloe Vera Gel (Ebube agu in Igbo; Ahon Erin in Yoruba; Tinya in Hausa) get Aloe Vera leaf cut it into half from the middle to extract it gel or juice. Take 2 tablespoons twice a day for jaundice treatment.
9. Morinda Lucinda (Brimstone tree in English; Oruwo in Yoruba; Eze ogu in Igbo; Ufu Ogile in Igede) boil the bark of Morinda Lucinda in water. Before you drink and 4 tablespoons of Lime juice (Omi oronbo, Omi osan wewe in Yoruba; Ekpe nkirisi in Igbo; Ruwa lemu tsami, Kadanbuya in Hausa) Drink 250 ml mix with 4 tablespoons of Lime juice two times a day.
10. Beet Root Juice: Add 2 tablespoons of Beet Roots juice
To 2 tablespoons of Organic Pure Honey
Mix with 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice (Oroma nkirisi in Igbo; Baba Lemu in Hausa; Omi osan ganyin in Yoruba)
Mix them together and drink once a day for jaundice treatment.
10. Unripe Pineapple (Ogede oyinbo dudu, Ogede oyinbo tio pon in Yoruba; Aregede in Idoma; Akwu oyinbo in Igbo; Abarba in Hausa; Edin ebo in Edo; Mbuer u butter in Tiv) peel the bark of Unripe Pineapple and cut the flesh into slices. Soak them in white maize paste water (Omidun funfun, Omikan funfun,Omi Ori Ogi funfun in Yoruba) for 6 hours.
11. Garlic (Tafarnuwa in Hausa, Alubosa ayu in Yoruba, Ayuu in Igbo) contains compound called allicin that aid in liver detoxification and hasten recovery from Jaundice.
13. Prepare tea decoction of Alstina Boonei bark (Stoolwood in English; Ano in Igala; Ukpukuhu in Urhobo; Egbu ora in Igbo; Okugbo in Itsekiri; Ahun in Yoruba) , Leaves Cajanus Cajan (Fiofio in Igbo; Ewe Otili in Yoruba; Dogon Wake in Hausa) and Rauvolfia Vomitoria root (African snake root in English; Asofeyeje, Ora-igbo, ira-igbo in Yoruba; Wada in Hausa; Akanta in Igbo; Akata in Edo; Mmon eba, Uto enyin in Efik) boil them for 40 minutes. Drink 200 ml three times a day.
14. Solanum Nigrum (Blacknight shade in Yoruba; Egunmon, Ogunmom in Yoruba; Gauntan Kaji in Hausa; Ugum akpe in Igbo; Anyana nnya in Efik) obtain fresh Solanum Nigrum leaves. Take it as salad. Boil slightly fresh Solanum Nigrum leaves and take in form of soup.
15. Ginger (Atale in Yoruba; Jinja in Igbo; Chitta in Hausa) take half tablespoon of Ginger with lukewarm water. Do it twice daily for jaundice treatment.
16. Red Onion(Alubosa onisu in Yoruba; Albasa gudaji in Hausa; Yabasi in Igbo) it is high in sulphur that aid in blood detoxification and protect the body from harmful substances that can damage the liver. Cut red onions into slices
mixed with Cucumbers slices
and 2 pinches of Pepper (Uziza in Igbo; Masooroo in Hausa; Ata iyere in Yoruba).
Eat this combination always for jaundice treatment.
17. Cardus Marianus (Milk thistle in English; Efo yan-rin in Yoruba) obtain fresh Milk thistle leaves, wash them thoroughly, cut them in to slices. Take them as salad.
Or: You may slightly boil fresh milk thistle leaves and take it in soup form for jaundice treatment.
18. Azadirachta Indica (Neem in English; Dongoyaro, Bedi, Ko in Hausa; Cassia in Yoruba; Ogwu akom in Igbo) pluck 5 fresh Azadirachta Indica leaves chew and drink water upon it on empty stomach in the morning for jaundice treatment.
19. Water Leaf (Ipi ape in Idoma; Gbure in Yoruba; Ebedondon in Edo; Nte-oka in Igbo; Alenyruwa in Hausa) has the ability to clear bilirubin from your blood. Obtain fresh water leaves and cut both the tender stems and the leaves into slices. Prepare juice by adding little water. Throw away the chaff and drink 250 ml of the green liquid within 10 minutes of preparation. Do it twice daily.
20. Moringa Oleifera (Moringa, Drumstick in English; Ewe ile, Ewe igbale, Idagbo monoye in Yoruba; Odudu Oyibo, Okochiegwu, Okwe olu, Okwe oyinbo, Okughara, ite, Ikwe beke in Igbo; Garawara, Habiwa Hausa, Konamarade, Rini maka in Fulani; Bagaruwa maka, Bagaruwa masar, Barambo, Koraukin zaila, Shipka hali, Shuka halinka, Rimin turawa, Zogalla-gandi Zogala in Hausa) boil fresh Moringa leaves in 300 ml for 5 minutes.
Add 2 pinches of Cayenne pepper (Barkono in Hausa; Ilufemi, Ata ijosin, Ilufemi, ijeye, Afriremon in Yoruba; Okwe oyinbo in Igbo; Apoko eeke in Idoma; Ugbapa in Yoruba) when it is lukewarm
add 1 tablespoon of organic pure honey.
Mix them together. Drink them water and consume the slightly boil leaves. Do it on an empty stomach in the morning for jaundice treatment.