The Nigeria Ministers of Defence are appointed by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria after the Senate had approved the nomination of the Minister of Defence by the President. The Minister is some time assist by the Minister of State. The Ministry of Defence Headquarters is located at the Ship House in Abuja. The ministry of defence organizational structure consists of the civilian and military compositions. The Permanent Secretary is the Accounting and Chief Administrative Officer of the ministry. The Permanent Secretary organized and directs the activities of the various Departments and Units in the ministry.
The military compositions are the :
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
which could be anyone of the three military. The Chief of Defence staff control the Armed Forces, their combine operations and training of their manpower or personnel.
- The Chief of Army Staff (COAS).
- The Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) and
- The Chief of Air Staff (CAS).
while the COAS, the CNS and CAS mentioned above are responsible for the day to day running of their respective services. They reports to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) while the Defence Minister who is the political head of the ministry reports directly to the president.
I think YOU will agree with me when I say…
This write up will enable you to know:
1. The names of pasts and present Nigeria Ministers of Defence.
2. Nigeria Ministers of Defence portfolios.
3. When they were appointed as Nigeria minister of defence and when they left office.
4. Organization under the Ministry of Defence.
5. Paratastatals under the Ministry of Defence controls by Nigeria Ministers of Defence.
These are Pasts and Present Nigeria Ministers of Defence
Oct. 1st, 1960 – May 1, 1965
Dr. Moses Majekodunmi
Army & Navy-State
Feb. 1960 – Aug. 1961
Army & Navy
Aug. 1961 – Dec. 1962
Ibrahim Tanko Galadima
Army & Navy
Jan. 1963 – Jan. 1966
Inua Muhammed Wada
May,1965 – Jan. 1966
Shettima Ali Monguno
Air Force & Internal Affairs-State
1965 – 1966
Alhaji Musa Daggash
Jan. 1966 – Jul. 1966
Brigadier Illiya Bisalla
Aug.6, 1975 – Feb. 13, 1976
Dec. 1979 – Feb. 1982
Audu Innocent Ogbeh
Feb. 1982 – Oct. 1983
Maj. Gen. Domkat Yah Bali
1984 – 1990
Don’t stop reading now…
Lt. Gen. Sani Abacha
1990 – 1994
General Sani Abacha
Himself who was the Commander-in-Chief is the substantive minister.
1994 – 1998
Mrs. Dupe Adelaja – State
Mrs. Dupe Adelaja – Navy
Chris Agbobu Navy
Rabiu Musa Kwankwanso
Rowland Oritsejafor- State
Jul. 2003-Aug. 2006
Dr. Olu Agunloye- Navy
Thomas Aguiyi-Ironsi- State
Aug. 2006-May 2007
Mahmud Yayale Ahmed
Jul. 2007-Sept. 2008
Fidelia Akabuata Njeze – State
Jul. 2007-Dec. 2008
Dec. 2008-Jul. 2009
Ademola Rasaq Seriki- State
Read also : Ibrahim Babangida Regime
Jul. 2009-Mar. 2010
Adetokunbo Kayode, SAN
Apr. 2010-May 2011
Murtala Shehu Yar’Adua- State
Apr. 2010-May 2011
Dr. Bello Haliru Muhammed
Jul. 2011-Jun. 2012
Erelu Olusola Obada- State
She later became substantive minister after the resignation of Dr. Bello Haliru from July 2012 to Sept. 2013.
Lt. Gen. Muhammed Aliyu Gusau (rtd).
Mar. 2014-Mar. 2015
Musiliu Olatunde Obanikoro- State
2014-Oct. , 2014
Mansur Dan Ali
Nov. 2015-May 2019
Bashir Salihu Magashi
Sept. 2019 till date
Organization under Nigeria Ministers of Defence
- The Defence Headquarters of Nigeria: It is headed by the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS).
- The Nigerian Army: It is headed by the Chief of Army Staff COAS).
- The Nigerian Navy : It is headed by the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS)
- The Nigerian Air Force : It is headed by the Chief of Air Staff (CAS).
Paratastatals and agencies under the Nigeria Ministers of Defence.
- The Defence Mission.
- Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).
- Defence Intelligence School.
- Military Pension Board (MPB).
- Nigeria Armed Forces Resettlement Centre (NAFRC).
- Defence Industry Corporation of Nigeria (DICON).
- National Defence College (NDC).
- Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji (AFCSC).
- Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).