Constipation treatment is aim at one bowel movement in every two days without straining. Constipation happens when bowel movements become difficult or less frequent than normal. The frequency or time between bowel movements ranges widely from person to person. Some people have bowel movement many times a day while others have only one to two times a week. Going longer than three days without a bowel movement is too long. After three days, the stool become harder and more difficult to pass.
This write-up seek to analyze the symptoms of constipation, causes, complications, factors that may increases your chances of constipation, how it can be prevented and constipation treatment.
And now, you’re thinking what do I gain from reading this article?
I am here to tell you, this article will enable you to know:
- The signs and symptoms of constipation.
- What causes constipation and the medical condition that can worsen it.
- The diseases and conditions that may upset your body hormonal balance.
- Complications of chronic constipation.
- Factors that may increases your risk of chronic constipation.
- How constipation can be prevented.
- And constipation treatment.
Let me elaborate…
Constipation signs and symptoms include:
- Feeling as though you can’t completely empty the stool from your rectum.
- Passing fewer than three stools a week.
- Straining to have a bowel movements.
- Having lumpy or hard stools.
- Feeling as though there’s a blockage in your rectum that prevent bowel movements.
- Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your finger to remove stool from your rectum.
Constipation may be considered chronic, if you had experienced two or more of these symptoms for the past three months.
Want to know what causes constipation? Stay with me and you I’ll read it yourself!
Constipation is most commonly caused by:
- Anal fissure
- Bowel obstruction.
- Colon cancer.
- Rectal cancer.
- Rectum bulge through the back wall of the vaginal (rectocele).
- Inadequate fiber diet.
- Certain medications (such as antidepressants, strong pain medications).
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Lack of exercise.
- Consumption of large amount of milk and cheese.
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement.
- Liver problem.
- Abuse of laxatives.
- Lack of intestinal juice and
- Magnesium deficiency.
Some medical condition that can cause or worsen the cause of constipation are:
Problems with The Nerves Around The Colon and Rectum. They include:
- Automatic neuropathy.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Spinal cord injury and
Problems with The Muscles That Involved in Bowel Movements are:
- Weakened pelvic muscles.
- Inability to relax the pelvic muscles to allow for a bowel movement (anismus).
- Pelvic muscle that failed to coordinate relaxation and contraction correction correctly (dyssynergia).
Diseases and conditions that upset body hormone balance and may result in constipation are:
- hypothyroidism and
After extensive analysis of different causes of constipation, let’s move on it complications.
Chronic constipation complications are:
- Harden stools that can’t be excrete.
- Torn skin in your anus (anal fissure) and
- Haemorrhoids and intestine that protudes from the anus (rectal prolapse).
Next are risk factors of chronic constipation and how constipation can be prevented.
1. Eating low fiber diet.
2. Getting little or no physical activity.
3. Having a mental conditions such as depression, narcotics, medications to reduce blood pressure, some antidepressants.
Others include being:
4. An older adult.
5. A woman and
You can avoid chronic constipation by:
- Drinking plenty of water or natural fluids.
- Making sure that whenever you eat solid foods, you include fiber rich foods in it.
- Eating plenty of foods that are rich in soluble and insoluble fibres such as vegetables, beans, fruits, and whole grain cereals.
- Managing stress.
- Not ignoring the urge to pass stool.
- And being active and exercising your body regularly.
Having outlined how constipation can be prevented. Let us now move on to available constipation treatment.
This write up is not meant to be a substitute to where the services of medical expert is urgently needed.
1. EUPHORBIA HIRTA (Asthma weed in English; Ozigban in Edo; Obu ani, Oba ala, Ogwu asma, Ahia asma in Igbo; Bou obrima, indou beni diri, Obirima in Ijo-Izon; Akun esan, Emi ile(Emile) Egele(ege-ile) in Yoruba; Noonon kurciya in Hausa; Endamyel in Fula-Fulfulde) Prepare tea infusion of Euphorbia Hirta leaves. Take 150 ml twice in a day for constipation treatment.
2. SPINACH (Egungun ori-igannan, Toromon-igannan, Amunututu in Yoruba; Gborongi in Igbo; Alayyahu in Hausa) Take 100 ml of fresh Spinach leaves juice twice daily with water. Or: Slightly boil Fresh Spinach leaves and take it in soup form for constipation treatment.
3. MORINGA OLEIFERA (Drumstick, Moringa in English; Ewe ile, ewe igbale, Idagbo monoye in Yoruba; Bagaruwa masar, Barambo, Koraukin zaila, Shipka hali, Shura halinka, Rimi turawa, Rimi nacara, Zogala-gandi, Zogala in Hausa; Gawara, Habiwa Hausa, Konamarade, Rini maka in Fulani; Okwe beke, Okwe oyinbo Okughara ite, Uhe in Igbo) Slightly boil Moringa Oleifera fresh leaves in 300ml cup of water. Strain and drink the water and consume the slightly boiled leaves. Or: Chew 2 Moringa Oleifera dried seeds two times in a day.
4. RASINS: Eat 3 Raisins two times in a day to get relief from constipation.
5. CHAMOMILE: Put 2 tablespoons of Chamomile in a cup of 250ml water. Let it boil for 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of honey and drink when it is lukewarm. Do it twice in a day.
6. BANANA (Agbo in Idoma; Unine, Unere in Igbo; Ogede paranta, Ogede omimi in Yoruba) Eat 2 to 4 ripes Bananas in a day for constipation treatment.
7. FENUGREEK ( Ewedu in Yoruba; idooma in Idoma; Hulba, Ayoyo in Hausa) Slightly boil Fresh Fenugreek leaves and take it in soup form. Or: Blend fresh Fenugreek leaves in water and drink 300 ml of juice within 10 minutes of preparation. Do it twice in a day. Or: Take 1 tablespoon of fenugreek Seeds powder with 1 tablespoon of organic pure honey. Do it before bedtime. If it is chronic take 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek Seeds powder with tablespoon of organic pure honey.
8. WATER LEAF (Nte-oka in Igbo; Alenyruwa in Hausa; Ebedondon in Edo; Ewe Gbure in Yoruba; Ipi ape in Idoma) cut both the fresh leaves and the tender stems into slices. Blend 2 handful of it in water. Once you prepare the juice throw away the chaff. Drink the green liquid within 10 minutes of preparation. Or: You slightly boil Water leaf and take it in soup form twice in a day for constipation treatment.
9. AVOCADO: ( Ube beke, Ube oyinbo in Igbo; Eso pia in Yoruba; Eban mbakara in Efik; Eso pia in Yoruba; Piya in Hausa ) Eat 2 Avocados daily for constipation treatment.
10. EGGPLANT/ GARDEN EGG: ( Dauta, Yalon in Hausa; Afufa, Anara in Igbo; Ikan in Yoruba ) Eat 5 Eggplant or Garden egg twice daily and drink a cup of water upon it for constipation treatment
11. FIGS (Farin baure in Hausa; Eso Opoto in Yoruba ) Soak 2 Figs in water after cutting them in to slices. Soak them overnight in water. Eat the soaked sliced figs and drink the figs water on an empty stomach in the morning for constipation treatment.
12. CABBAGE: Drink 150 ml of fresh Cabbage juice twice in a day.
We deligently research and continuesly update our information. Please let us know, if you find any error(s).