What are Stomach Ulcers?
Stomach ulcers treatment aims at healing of open sores that forms on the lining of the stomach. Stomach ulcers are very common. They’re caused by several factors that disrupts the balance of the stomach environment. The most common is an infection caused by Helicobactor pylori bacteria.When your stomach is healthy, it is coated in a layer of sticky mucus that protects the stomach from the breakdown of harsh acid from the food you eat. If the acid balance in your stomach environment is disrupt you will end up having more stomach acid and mucus that are not enough. As this continues the acid eats away at your stomach lining tissue. The painful and sometimes bloody open sores that it causes is known as ulcers. Some of them are tiny while others are over half an inch long. They occur when the thick layer of the mucus that protect your stomach from digestive juices is reduced. Peptic ulcer includes: gastric ulcers (that occur inside of the stomach) and duodenal ulcers (which happens on the inside of the stomach upper portion of your small intestine).
But wait, these are what you stand to gain by reading this article!
- You will have better understanding of stomach ulcers.
- You will know foods that may worsens stomach ulcers symptoms, as well as as foods you can eat when suffering from stomach ulcers.
- You’ll know tips that will assist you in managing stomach ulcers.
- Natural treatment that will help to get rid of stomach ulcers.
Having highlighted how this write up will benefit you. I will move on to mention stomach ulcers symptoms.
Symptoms of Stomach Ulcers
- Blood in vomit.
- Stomach or abdominal pain.
- Weight loss
- Fatty or oily foods intolerance.
- Feeling of discomfort after eating.
This will take us to the causes of stomach ulcers.
Causes of Stomach Ulcers
1. Foods high in salt and fat (oil).
2. Being overweight.
3. Family history of stomach ulcers.
4. Excess use of pain relievers such as iburofen and aspirin.
5. Too much consumption of alcohol.
6. Regular intake of non – steroidal inflammatory drugs.
7. Being above 50 years of age.
Why Will Stomach Ulcers Fail to Heal With Treatments?
Stomach ulcers that fail to heal with treatment is called refractory ulcers. It may occur because of:
- Over production of stomach acid.
- Stomach cancer.
- Not taking your medications as prescribed.
- When bacteria are resistant to drugs.
- Regular use of pain relievers and
- Crohn’s disease.
Can Stomach Ulcers Results in Complications?
Complications are not common. When they happen, it can be very serious and potentially life threatening. They include:
1. Bleeding at the ulcer site.
2. Gastric obstruction: It occurs when ulcers hinders movement of foods through the digestive system.
3. Perforation: It occurs when the stomach linning at the site of the ulcer splits open.
Foods to avoid When You’re Suffering from Stomach Ulcers
In order not to worsens your stomach ulcers symptoms. Avoid or stay away from:
- Fried foods and foods that contains excess fat.
- Spicy foods.
- Highly seasoned foods.
- Milk and diary products that are high in fat.
- Caffeine and carbonated drinks.
- Citrus fruits and juices such as figs, berries, and pineapple.
Having point out foods to avoid, it’s necessary to examine foods to eat.
Foods to Eat When Your Are Suffering from Stomach Ulcers
1. Diets rich in fibres especially vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamin A and C, as well as whole grain.
2. Diary products that are low in fat such as milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese may be well tolerated.
3. The following are good options: lean meat, pears, soy bean, kidney beans, eggs.
Before considering natural treatment for stomach ulcers. I’ll list tips that will assist you in managing stomach ulcers.
- Avoid three large meals rather, eat 5 to 6 small meals daily.
- Eat within three hours before bedtime.
- Rest after eating each meal.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- Reduce your stress.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Observe a good night sleep.
Consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Use natural treatments as an adjunct treatment.
Stomach Ulcers Natural Treatments
1. GARLIC (Tafarnuwa in Hausa; Alubosa ayu in Yoruba)
Garlic keeps levels of Helicopter pylori bacterium in check and very effective in the treatment of stomach ulcers. Chew two fresh pods of Garlics and drink lukewarm water upon it. Do it thrice a day before your meal.
2. WATER LEAF JUICE (Gbure in Yoruba; Ebe dondon in Edo; Ipi – ape in Idoma; Nte – oka in Igbo; Alenyruwa in Hausa) It aid in healing stomach ulcers due to it flavonoids and saponins properties in the leaves. Blend leaves and tender stems of water leaves into juice. Drink 200 ml of the green liquid daily. Consume the juice within 10 minutes of preparation. Throw away the chaff.
3. ALOE VERA GEL (Tinya in Hausa; Ebube agu in Igbo; Ahon Erin in Yoruba)
It contains compound known as polysaccharides that possesses the ability to cure most digestive disorders including stomach ulcers. Obtain Aloe Vera leaf. Cut it into half extract the gel. Take 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel or Aloe Vera juice on an empty stomach before breakfast.
4. AZADIRACHTA INDICA (Neem in English; Bedi, Dongoyaro in Hausa; Ogwu – akom in Igbo; Cassia, Aforo Oyinbo in Yoruba) Neem leaves extract reduce concentration of hydrochloric acid in the stomach due to their anti bacteria and anti inflammatory properties. Chew 5 fresh Neem leaves with 1 tablespoon of organic pure honey three times a day.
5. CLOVES (Kanafuru in Yoruba; Kanumfari in Hausa) Cloves stimulate the production of mucus in the stomach. Include Cloves in your diets.
6. OkRA / LADY FINGERS (ila in Yoruba; idu in Idoma; Kubewa in Hausa; Okwuru in Igbo)Due to it gooey nature okra or okro neutralizes hydrochloric acid and enable the stomach to empty properly when consume regularly. Obtain 2 fresh sizeable okra pods. Wash them and cut off their ends. The sticky liquid will ooze out once you slice the pod. Put the sliced okra in a cup of 250ml water and cover it overnight for 8 hours to avoid contamination. Take out the okra pods and drink the water on an empty stomach before breakfast daily until your condition improve.
7. CABBAGE: Contains amino acids glutaminethat helps to purify the gut mucosal linning and improves blood flow to the stomach. Cabbage can prevent and also speedily heal stomach ulcers. Drink 200 ml of fresh Cabbage juice twice a day. Or: You can eat 2 raw Cabbage leaves twice a day.
8. CARROT JUICE:
Vitamin A in Carrot protects your stomach cavity from micro organisms and lubricate the foods that reach your stomach to help them move within the organ. Drink 150 ml Carrot juice twice a day. Or: You may add carrots in your diets.
9. UNRIPE PLANTAIN (Ogede agbagba dudu in Yoruba; Agbo ochi in Idoma; Ayaba in Hausa; Abereka, Ojioko, Ogbadejieoke in Igbo; Oghede in Benin)It contains phytochemicals such as leucocyanidin that manage stomach ulcers. Add boiled or roasted unripe plantains in your diets.
Warning! Avoid fried plantains so as to not to worsen your stomach ulcers.
10. MORINGA OLEIFERA LEAVES (Drumstick, Moringa in English; Gawara, Habiwal Hausa, Konamarade, Rini maka in Fulani; Idagbo monoye, Ewe ile, Ewe igbale in Yoruba; Bagaruwa maka, Bagaruwa masar, Barambo, Koraukin zaila, Shipka hali, Shuka halinka, Rimi nacara, Rimin turawa, Zogall, Zogalla – gandi in Hausa; Odudu oyinbo, Okochi egbu, Okwe – olu, Okwe oyinbo, Okughara ite, Uhe, Ikwe beke in Igbo)Moringa Oleifera contains compounds that inhibit ulcers causing bacteria. The isothiocyantes in this plant helps in the treatment of stomach ulcers. Boil fresh Moringa leaves in 300 ml water for 5 minutes. Strain and drink the tea infusion when it is lukewarm. Eat the boiled leaves also. Do it twice a day.
11. BANANA (Ogede paranta, Ogede omimi in Yoruba; Ayaba in Hausa; Unine, unere in Igbo; Agbo in Idoma) It protects the system by cleaning the acidity of the gastrice juice, help to reduce inflammation and also strengthen the stomach lining.
Mash 1 Ripe banana in a cup of water. Add 1 tablespoon of Organic pure honey and mix. After that drink. Do it twice in a day.
We deligently research and continuesly update our information. Please let me us know. If you find any error(s).
Thank you for reading!Follow us on social media